I love cannelloni – there’s something very special about the individual tubes of pasta crammed full a lovely filling which is always different to the covering sauce; each one is like a little present.
This particular dish uses fresh lasagne sheets rather than ready made, dried tubes. This is because I have no time nor inclination tonight to make my own pasta, but the shops nearby don’t sell fresh cannelloni tubes. This recipe needs fresh pasta really, because the filling and topping are delicate and wouldn’t be as good if they were cooked for as long as dried tubes need. Fresh lasagne sheets are a reasonable subtitute.
This recipe will serve up to 5 people with a side salad, more if you put some garlic bread on too. It takes around 40 minutes max, all in.
Spinach, Tomato and Goats Cheese Cannelloni
350g cherry tomatoes
3 tbsps olive oil
1 tbsp thyme
125g crumbly goats cheese
1 clove garlic
10 fresh lasagne sheets
1. Half the tomatoes and put in a bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, add the thyme and season well with salt and pepper. Mix together and leave to one side.
2. Put the ricotta, goats cheese, parmesan, spinach and chopped garlic into another bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Get a large oven proof dish and drizzle a little more olive oil into the bottom. Line up your lasagne sheets – see whether they’ll fit in the dish lengthways or widthways. Put a spoonful of the goats cheese and spinach mixture along whichever side fits best, and spread it out along that side. It’s best to use your hands here! Roll the lasagne sheet into a tube shape aroound the mixture and place in the dish.
4. Repeat until all of the mixture is used and the dish is full. Top with the tomatoes – spread them out as evenly as you can.
5. Pop in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the pasta is cooked through. Enjoy!