Carrot, Beetroot and Watercress Salad

Carrot, Beetroot and Watercress Salad (1)

March is a month of contrasts, isn’t it? Particularly here in the UK, some days there can be balmy, mild sunshine which shows off the multi-coloured budding flowers and the blossom on the trees. Other days, like today, there can be a miserable, leaden grey sky and a howling icy wind which destroys the buds and blows the blossom away. I, like most people I’m sure, prefer one of these types of day significantly more than the other.

There was one of these rare sunny days recently. It reminded me that in a few short months, my sister and her fiance are getting married. They’re getting married abroad, which means a beach holiday (and the bikini which goes with it), and it was as such a notification that perhaps the time is here to wean ourselves off stodgy winter warmers, and towards lighter, more bikini body friendly meals.

This particular salad is a happy medium. It is served warm, so is nice when the weather is as miserable as it is today (I resembled a drowned rat when I got home), and is packed full of healthy veggies.

It’ll take approximately an hour in total to make, but it’s very low maintenance and the majority of this time is spent sitting on the sofa, drying off next to the fire. This will serve 3-4.

Carrot, Beetroot and Watercress Salad (2)

Carrot, Beetroot and Watercress Salad

500g baby carrots

6 raw beetroot

2 tbsps olive oil

1 tbsp runny honey

2 tbsps lemon juice

250g ready to eat lentils

100g watercress

75g goats cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

2. Trim the ends of the carrots and place in a large baking dish. Cut the top and tail off each beetroot and slice them into wedges (no need to peel). Add these to the dish along with half of the olive oil. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until soft.

3. To make the dressing, mix the remaining olive oil with the honey and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Towards the end of the cooking time, heat your lentils – either on the hob or in the microwave. Place in a large bowl and mix with the watercress and cooked carrots and beetroot.

5. To serve, share out the salad between bowls and top with a few blobs of goats cheese and a drizzle of dressing. Enjoy!

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Carrot, Beetroot and Watercress Salad

1. Wendy B March 12, 2015 / 7:57 pm

Yum! I love roasted beets with goat cheese. I’ve never heard of ready to eat lentils so I’ll be looking for them at the store. As soon as I’m off this fast, this could be my first meal!!!

• harrietyoung38 March 12, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Normal lentils are great, and so cheap, but when I’m in a hurry I always use ready to eat lentils. I hope you enjoy it πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

2. Miss Alkaline UK March 12, 2015 / 8:20 pm

This looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

Liked by 1 person

3. MealsWithMel March 12, 2015 / 10:02 pm

Yum!! I love beets, carrots, and lentils. Although I have searched high and low across Texas and I have never been able to find canned lentils… I always keep some dried ones in the pantry though. Great post thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. dmariebates March 12, 2015 / 11:25 pm

Your salad looks really good. I will definitely have to try it. Good luck with the bikini! πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

5. lindaravello March 13, 2015 / 9:01 am

A lovely post to ‘shake of winter and get us into the mood for spring! ‘I’m going to make this at the weekend, but as I don’t like goats cheese, will try it with sheep’s cheese (fromage de brebis) Plus I am in the right place for ‘ready to eat lentils’ we have aisles full of them here and they are a very popular thing for people to bring for lunch at work – much more common than eating a sandwich (I have a lentil dish in the pipeline)

• harrietyoung38 March 13, 2015 / 4:15 pm

Ooh yes it’d be lovely with sheep’s cheese! I hope you enjoy it and please do let me know if you like it πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

6. Georgina March 14, 2015 / 3:18 pm

This looks really lovely. Beetroot and goat’s cheese is such a lovely combination.

7. ForkInPage March 16, 2015 / 12:13 pm

Oh good lord!!! That looks so fantastic!!
    I wanna be your house guest!

Liked by 1 person