Tonight we’re having something universally known in our house as ‘The Egg Thing’. It’s really a baked egg dish with some Mediterranean vegetables – please try it, it is lovely! The baked egg topping makes the dish fairly filling – so is great as an alternative meal if you’re on a low carb diet. Be warned before you get started; I LOVE olives and feta, so feel free to reduce the quantities if you’re not as much of a fan!
If you wanted to make this into a meat-eaters meal, you could add some chorizo or salami when you’re cooking the peppers, or you could even use this as a side dish to complement a lamb or pork chop.
Give it a go – it’s one of the other half’s firm favourites and he’s a big meat eater! Although eggs are his favourite food so that might explain it…
The dish takes about 30-45 mins to make, and will serve 3-4.
Mediterranean Baked Eggs
1tbsp olive oil
3 large peppers – a selection of colours is best
1 small glass red wine
1 tin chopped tomatoes
350g jar green olives (200g drained weight)
1. Thinly slice (don’t chop) the onion and peppers, and put in a frying pan over a low heat with the olive oil. Sizzle for a couple of minutes, until they start to soften.
2. Add the red wine and allow it to bubble down, then add the chopped tomatoes, spinach and olives.
3. Heat for about 5 more minutes, until the spinach has wilted.
4. Tip into an oven proof dish and level with a wooden spoon, then break an egg into each corner (not directly into the corner – a couple of centimetres in so that as much as possible is topped with the egg).
5. Finally, crumble the feta over the top, sprinkle with black pepper and cook in the oven at 180C for about 15 mins or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.